Horror movie icons deserve Halloween homage

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Jamie Weston

Photo by Jamie Weston

Photo by Jamie Weston

Tis the season to once again to give praises to the kings of cold, the sultans of slash, the queens of screams, the icons who make Halloween what it is and what it always should be.

From an evil possessed doll, to a super strong momma’s boy with a machete, the horror icons of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s have made a deep bloody impact on the horror world to this day. If you were to ask your parents what scared them the most when they were your age, they would most likely say Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees or even Michael Myers, and they had every reason to be scared of these immortal terrors! These icons have stayed the tests of time for decades and have been rebooted more times than Spider-Man. However, they still hold their integrity and grace while killing teenagers of seemingly subpar intelligence, and their symbols are ingrained into the darkest recesses of our subconsciouses.

What’s the first thing that pops into your head when you hear “Elm Street” or think about camping near a lake or even hear the now infamous phrase “wanna play a game”? Some of the relatively new horror icons like Jigsaw, Jeepers CreepersAnnabelle and The Bye Bye Man might be able to sit at the same lunch table with the classics….if they’re lucky, but you don’t see producers lining up around the block to re-make the likes of these wannabes.

Speaking of remakes and reboots…

The Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th reboots were nice, giving us the old school style paired with new tech, and the effects were astounding. However, the remakes still paled in comparison to the sheer terror of their original counterparts.

The face of evil in remake form haunting the nightmares of children everywhere this Halloween is none other than that funny fiend himself, Pennywise. Another classic horror icon, spawning an irrational fear of clowns for children and adults alike, Pennywise, a character from Stephen King’s “It”, was a character many were nervous to see rebooted, afraid the new could not possibly live up to the terror of the old.

However, the 2017 It remake was one of the best I have ever seen and I have VERY few experiences where the remake of a movie lives up to, or in this case, even exceeds the original. Introducing a new look, behavior and even new voice of Pennywise the dancing clown was a risky move, but one that will surely reap big rewards. Yet another classic horror icon will be able to terrorize a new generation.

Comment below with your favorite horror movie icon.