Filed under News, Science Articles

To Infinity and Beyond

Back to Article
Back to Article

To Infinity and Beyond

Photo by WFC3: NASA, ESA/Hubble and th

Photo by WFC3: NASA, ESA/Hubble and th

Photo by WFC3: NASA, ESA/Hubble and th

Space has always been used as a topic in science fiction novels and books, but does it really look the way they project it. For many years astronomers have studied space we have reports dating back from ancient Greece.

Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space on April 12, 1961. this was just 20 years after the first unmanned object was launched. While a twenty year difference may seem like a lot it is actually a large feat in technology. Americans weren’t too behind the game for they entered space May 5th, 1961 Astronaut Alan B. Shepard was the first american in space.

“Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first humans on the Moon, Americans Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, on July 20, 1969, at 20:18 UTC. Armstrong became the first to step onto the lunar surface six hours later on July 21 at 02:56 UTC.” This was an amazing feat being just 8 years later.

“In 1990, the Hubble Space Telescope, named in honor of astronomer Edwin Hubble, was launched into orbit around the Earth. The telescope, a basic reflector with a 94.5-inch (2.4-meter) mirror, was packed with instruments that would give astronomers clear views of the universe in visible, infrared and ultraviolet light.”

The Hubble telescope took a picture in 1995 of the pillars of creation which was the clearest photo of space so far. Recently the Hubble telescope took a new picture of the pillars of creation which is even more fantastic than the last. The pillars of creation are large towers of gas and dust in which stars are formed.

In the end space is a fascination for many people. Between space travel and viewing astrological objects astronomers never cease to have something to research.