Global warming is around you

Back to Article
Back to Article

Global warming is around you

Photo by Pixabay

Photo by Pixabay

Photo by Pixabay

What is Global Warming

Global warming is the unusually rapid increase in Earth’s average surface temperature over the past century primarily due to the greenhouse gases released as people burn fossil fuels. The global average surface temperature rose 0.6 to 0.9 degrees Celsius of 1.1 to 1.6 Celsius between 1906 and 2005, and the rate of temperature increase has nearly doubled in the last 50 years.

The enhanced greenhouse effect

Humans have been artificially raising the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere at an ever-increasing rate, mostly by burning fossil fuels, but also from cutting down carbon-absorbing forests.

The greenhouse effect

The greenhouse effect is an increase in the average temperature of the Earth. It happens because certain gases absorb infrared heat that would normally be radiated into space. Since carbon dioxide absorbs this heat, the more carbon dioxide there is in the atmosphere, the warmer the air will be.

The consequences of rising temperatures

Dangerous heat waves are increasing in severity and frequency. Sea level rise is accelerating. Extreme storms are on the rise in some areas. More severe droughts are occurring in others.

How can you slow down global warming

Power your home with renewable energy. Choose a utility company that generates at least half its power from wind or solar and has been certified by Green-e Energy. Take a look at your electric bill; many utilities now list other ways to support renewable sources on their monthly statements and websites. Using wind or solar energy will use less nuclear power plants, coal power plants, and oil power plants.

Stop Cutting down trees

Every year, 33 million acres of forests are cut down. Timber harvesting in the tropics alone contributes 1.5 billion metric tons of carbon to the atmosphere. That represents 20 percent of human-made greenhouse gas emissions and a source that could be avoided relatively easily.

Global warming and storms

The data include measures of intensity, frequency, and duration as well as the number of strongest (Category 4 and 5) storms. Numerous factors have been shown to influence these local sea surface temperatures, including natural variability, human-induced emissions of heat-trapping gases, and particulate pollution. Quantifying the relative contributions of natural and human-caused factors is an active focus of research.

Models also project greater rainfall rates in hurricanes in a warmer climate, with increases of about 20% averaged near the center of hurricanes.

1 Comment

One Response to “Global warming is around you”

1. Seth Riden on February 15th, 2018 11:36 am

Moral of the story: Go green ‘fore we take a page out of Genesis and flood the earth.

*

• Global warming is around you

2017 Christmas Edition

Toradora Anime Review: Obscurity on the Weekly #4

• Global warming is around you

2017 Christmas Edition

Where are you Christmas? Why can’t I find you?

• Global warming is around you

Humans of Ada

Humans of Ada

• Global warming is around you

Features

Talking the talk and walking the walk

• Global warming is around you

Opinion

Brevity is overrated

• Global warming is around you

Student Life

• Global warming is around you

Humans of Ada

Humans of Ada

• Global warming is around you

Slideshows

AHS Performing Arts presents Hunchback of Notre Dame

• Global warming is around you

Christmas Edition

Humans of Ada

• Global warming is around you

Editorial

‘Just a teacher’ Ronny Johns is just the answer for House District 25

Global warming is around you