The Giants That Have Roamed

More stories from Jenna Rose Demastus

The Buggy Zombies
March 31, 2015

Through out history the world we have had big and small animals. When we think large we think dinosaurs and plankton when we think small. What we don’t usually think about is giant guinea pigs and furry elephants.

The Josephoartigasia monesi was a giant guinea pig type animal that lived approximately 4 to 2 million years ago during the Pliocene to early Pleistocene periods. This animal was officially discovered in 2004 in South America.”The specimen was found in a boulder broken off from the San José Formation. It is composed of siltstone, claystones, medium-grained psammites and medium-to-conglomeratic psammites, with siltstone intercalations (Mones & Rinderknecht 2004).”

Another giant animal you will probably doubt has existed is the Giant Sea Scorpion.  “Jaekelopterus rhenaniae measured some 8.2 feet (2.5 meters) long, scientists estimate, based on the length of its 18-inch (46-centimeter), spiked claw.” Don’t worry though because this scorpion lived about 250 million years ago.

Crocodiles typically grow up to 16 feet in length but the Gharial can reach up too 23 feet. These abnormally large crocodiles can attribute their length to their long snout. Their snout is responsible for about 15% of their body length making them one of the largest crocodiles alive today. This unique croc is one of the most endangered species we know of today. They live in India and primarily eat fish not humans which is lucky for us.

Animals grow and evolve all the time but there are some adaptations we should be thankful for. We are quite lucky that the giant animals listed here aren’t going to eat us because we wouldn’t be much of a fight for them.