Filed under Science Articles

Do you Really Know the Moon?

Everyone has seen the moon it appears every night and sometimes stays as a shadow though out the day but do you really know anything about it?

Most people believe in what we call the dark side of the moon, the side we never see so it never sees light. Actually there isn’t a dark side; the dark side of the moon is a MYTH. Both sides of the moon get the same amount of light we just don’t see the other side. The reason we don’t see the other side is because the moon rotates on its axis at the same speed as the earth. “The sunlight reflects off of the earth” and lights our side of the moon, so really neither side gets direct light.

The moon while completely different from the earth still has a few similarities, such moonquakes or what we would call earthquakes.  The earth has a slight gravitational pull on the moon which is what keeps it in orbit. This is different  from what causes earthquakes, our earthquakes are caused by the moving of plates. The pull causes small moonquakes a few meters behind the surface which do attribute to the cracks along its surface. 

Issac Asimov once said: “The Moon, which has no atmosphere and no magnetic field, is basically a freak of nature”

The quote above basically tells us that the moon shouldn’t even exist but without it turmoil would begin on earth. The moon is what gives us most of our tides and waves. The moon also helps hold the earth steady as it rotates like how a hammer thrower looses his balance after he releases the hammer. Lastly without the moon our days would be hours shorter, with the tides gone the friction they cause would no longer slow down the earths rotation.

In the end the moon is much more important than we realize. There are plenty of things most of us don’t even know about it and there are still many things we have left to discover.