Filed under Reviews, Showcase

TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Recently, Netflix has added one more show to its long list of originals.

13 Reasons Why follows the cassette tapes left behind by Hannah Baker, a junior at the local high school, after killing herself. On the tapes, she claims that each person who is mentioned is somehow responsible for her death in a small way. The show follows each of the characters as they react and recall the stories told by Hannah in the cassettes.

The main character, Clay Jensen, is one of the last to receive the box of cassettes, which includes instructions to pass them around to everyone on the list included. Clay’s storyline is crucial and intimate because he had a crush on Hannah in the time up until her death.

The television show is based on a novel, published in 2007 and written by Jay Asher. It was only recently recreated for the screen after the book hit the best sellers’ list in 2011.

This show does a great job of keeping the viewer interested, with a great storyline and plenty of cliffhangers. The two leads, Dylan Minnette and Catherine Langford, who play Clay Jensen and Hannah Baker, bring their characters to life with their professional acting skills. The emotion behind Minnette’s character seems completely authentic. You can easily identify the torment of each new tape.  Langford has the angsty teen stare down to an art, making you experience a wide range of feelings toward her character, from sympathy to annoyance.

Rate 13 Reasons Why

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

For me, annoyance is a more frequent reaction, more so to Hannah Baker the character, rather than Catherine Langford the actress. Hannah doesn’t deserve the sympathy she receives in the show and from the real world audience. She uses mystery and sass to get away with blaming the rest of the world for her own decision. I understand that people’s actions have a large effect on others and the choices they make, but, ultimately, it was Hannah who ended her own life. Putting the blame on her friends forces them to be guilt ridden and to live without ever getting closure.

However, the show does a fantastic job of presenting a realistic portrayal of issues a lot of teens face. It does not shy away from the ugliness of bullying, rape or suicide, and instead shoves all of these issues into viewer’s faces, almost daring them to try to look away.

The show currently has thirteen episodes, each representing a tape in the cassette. Parents should be forewarned that the show contains many strong depictions of partying, assault and suicide, along with other stereotypical teenage downfalls. Those suffering from abuse or assault may find many episodes to be a trigger and should also watch with caution.

1 Comment

One Response to “TV show review: 13 Reasons Why”

1. Corina Williams on April 9th, 2017 10:59 pm

Yes, this show has lots of bad things in it but honestly its a good show. I mean people who commit suicide go threw some of those things and more things that lead to them to suicide. Suicide is a decision made by the one who does so yes but everything and everyone in their life has some kind of effect on why that person killed themselves. This show is basically saying Hannah said every reason why she committed suicide on tapes. By saying them on the tapes it makes you think different but in all reality it is just like writing the suicide note to leave for everyone once they do. The show is a little graphic I give you that but honestly I like it because it gives you am idea oh what really happens in someone’s life that could lead them to suicide.

[Reply]

*

• TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Reviews

Critique Column: Into the Wild

• TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Reviews

Movie Review: The Lost Boys

• TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Reviews

Top 5 Netflix television series for teens

• TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Reviews

Five stars for ‘Beauty and the Beast’

• TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Reviews

Music Review: Royz

• TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Reviews

Jurassic Park vs Jurassic World

• TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Reviews

Movie Review – Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children

• TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Reviews

Movie Review

• TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Reviews

Album Review: Lateralus

• TV show review: 13 Reasons Why

Reviews

Into the pages

TV show review: 13 Reasons Why