Filed under Entertainment, Reviews

9-1-1: Best new show of 2018

Photo by FOX

Photo by FOX

Ryan Murphy is mainly known for creating the most famous TV series “American Horror Story“. Recently Murphy created a new drama series on FOX called 9-1-1. The show consists of some mysterious yet hectic phone calls that become the main subject of the show. It’s placed in the city of Los Angeles, California where the firefighters, cops, dispatchers and paramedics thrust into heart-stopping events.

Connie Britton is one of the most important characters throughout the whole show. Britton plays the role of Abby Clark who’s the 911 operator and the narrator throughout the whole show. However, things start to spiral down since her mother has Alzheimer’s and needs to be watched constantly. She begins to have a close friendship with the crew because of the calls but more precisely when she begins a relationship with Evan Buckley aka “Buck.

*SPOILER WARNING TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVEN’T WATCHED IT*

9-1-1 is honestly one of the best shows I have watched so far in 2018. It gives a slight perspective of what emergency personnel go through on a regular basis. However, some of the scenarios are a little far-fetched. I like how every episode is different because you can see the struggles of the people of LA as well the struggles of the emergency personnel. Every character has their own story and later on settles into place making them even more relatable.

Angela Bassett plays LAPD patrol sergeant Athena Grant. Athena has two kids and is married to Michael However, Michael starts to act weird and cause problems with their marriage. Michael’s admission that he is homosexual disrupts their marriage an family. Bassett does a spot on job of playing this character. She has the tough, take no crap, strong, independent woman character down perfectly. Her small frame and spunky personality contribute heavily to the successful portrayal of her character.

Would you watch 9-1-1?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Peter Krause who plays Bobby Nash who’s LAFD Captain is very interesting to me. As you begin to watch the show from the beginning, Bobby has a mysterious life. When his team members try to make Bobby do new things or ask about his life, he shuts everything down and leaves to be alone. It turns out that prior to the beginning point of the show, he suffered a back injury and had to take medication, resulting in addiction. Episode five, “Point of Origin,” reveals the source of Nash’s grief: he unintentionally caused a fire, which resulted in the deaths of his wife and child. The emotion Krause brings to this episode is reminiscent of his Parenthood character Adam Braverman. It was nice to see that human and heart-wrenching side of Krause once again.

I really felt the emotion with what was going on, and I really love this show with a passion. This show is basically like a roller coaster with the scary events, the funny events and the dumb events. My favorite scene is from the last episode when Bobby decides to try dating after so long. While he’s waiting for his date to arrive, he begins to get nervous, but plot twist, he’s on a date with Athena! I would recommend this show to anyone who loves seeing medical personnel dramas. Season 2 has been confirmed and will air in mid-2018 or in early 2019.