Filed under Editorial, Showcase

Recycling: A waste of time?

Ada High student shows his support for the recycling program and throws his trash away properly.

Photo by Emily Rhyne

Photo by Emily Rhyne

As a child, you do a lot of learning. At school, you’re taught to stop drop and roll, criss cross applesauce, and to reduce, reuse, recycle. They tell you from the time you’re young how essential cleanliness is and why plastic bottles go in different bins than cans do. The real question is, did we ever learn the true importance of recycling?

Recently at Ada High, a new recycling movement has been reinstalled, providing the school with six recycling bins that can be found throughout the Student Center. Additionally, one can also find eleven trash cans throughout the main areas of the school if ever in need of a secondary place to dispose of their garbage.

The recycling plan was intended to encourage students to take better care of their school as a start to going green. Many teachers and students were excited to welcome back this program after its discontinuation, however, it is evident that the cycle has begun to repeat itself.

Students can be seen leaving the Student Center in shambles with bags of chips and crumbs adorning the carpet. After 10-minute break, many seem more concerned with getting their snack and getting to class instead of picking up after themselves.

The previous recycling plan issued in years past was quickly terminated after students failed to dispose of their trash in the proper waste baskets. Even now, you can still find paper in the plastic containers and so on which creates an inconvenient job for the school custodians.

Cody Carter, one of Ada High’s custodians, has his work ahead of him every day, cleaning the messes the students leave in their wake.

“The students are getting the hang of recycling,” says Carter. “They just need to pick up after themselves more.”

Environmentally speaking, recycling reduces energy consumption and makes for lower production costs. Thus, by lowering the need to create new materials, the environment is cleaner and greenhouse gas emissions are lessened, which ultimately assists in helping to tackle climate change.

Outside of school, the importance of separating your recyclable materials is intended to assist recycling plants in order to quickly move the materials for reuse. It’s a small job for a big cause. The least we can do is be a part in the process.

Take care of your school and take care of your environment, it will take care of you.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Recycling: A waste of time?”

1. Liam McCartney on February 20th, 2018 7:53 am

Its not fair to the hard working custodians to clean up our trash but it is wonderful that we are paying attention to recycling

2. Braden moore on March 11th, 2018 7:22 pm

If you don’t recycle you need to at least throw your trash away to keep the custodians from having to pick up all the extra trash around the school. You should recycle though because it is good for the environment.

*

• Recycling: A waste of time?

Editorial

Student journalists’ right to freedom of speech

• Recycling: A waste of time?

Humans of Ada

• Recycling: A waste of time?

Humans of Ada

Humans of Ada

• Recycling: A waste of time?

Features

How to deal with ACT stress, anxiety

• Recycling: A waste of time?

Features

Circular Reporting: The Lisa Holst Problem

• Recycling: A waste of time?

Slideshows

Japanese Interact brings students to America

• Recycling: A waste of time?

Reviews

Veteran by JPEGMAFIA may be an early Hip-Hop AOTY

• Recycling: A waste of time?

Entertainment

9-1-1: Best new show of 2018

• Recycling: A waste of time?

Multimedia Packages

Fortnite craze has taken over

• Recycling: A waste of time?

Reviews

Black Panther makes movie magic

Recycling: A waste of time?