Filed under News, Showcase

Earth Day blooms at Ada High

Ada High School held their annual Earth Day event on Monday. On this is day students can enjoy a day of outside activities. Chemistry classes made tie dyed shirts for the day and students from previous classes wear their tie dyed shirts from years passed. Earth Day activities are organized by science teacher Megan Hawley and members of the science club.

“We try to go out to vendors to get donations just to make sure we could feed all the students and teachers,” said Hawley. “It’s always a fun and pretty nice day and we have lots of activities too. Hopefully with all the activities it will keep the kiddos all outside and want to be enjoying their time outside.”

Some of the activities included decorating the sidewalks with chalk drawings, football, frisbee, volleyball. ladder ball, corn hole, nine square and archery tag. Student led band Crunchy Meat played music all day to entertain the crowd. Dax Foster played bass with the band and could be seen headbanging throughout the performances.

“I preformed for Earth Day and I enjoyed the day,” said Foster.

Part of the Earth Day celebration is free lunch on the lawn. Citizens Bank, Ada Coca Cola, Wilson Insurance and Vision Bank provided a free lunch of hot dogs, chips, cookies and drinks for all students and faculty. StuCo members served the lunch and Key Club members made fresh cotton candy.

Students attending could be seen laughing, playing and enjoying fun in the sun.

It is a day to stay out and celebrate our Earth and have fun and not worry about the stress of the school. I love Earth Day,” said senior Kyla Blevins. “The best part is drawing with chalk and cotton candy. I love that the school gives us a day to be outside and celebrate Earth Day.”

About the Writer
Monica Guajardo, Staff Writer

Monica Guajardo is a 16-year-old junior at Ada High School and is in her first year of being a part of the Cougar Call. She wants to be an RN nurse and...