Crochet DIY: Pie Pot Holders
I found this free pattern on Pintrest and decided to make this one. I did make one mistake, I ran out of my brown cotton yarn and the pie is supposed to be two circles crocheted together and I only made one side. Alas, it still looks adorable hanging in our kitchen. Based on the type of cotton yarn you use will depend on the color of the filling and crust.
- 1 Skein of White/ Cream Cotton Yarn
- 1 Skein of Papaya Cotton Yarn
- 1 Skein of Brown or Antique Gold
- G Hook
- Yarn Needle
- Stitch- st
- Slip Stitch- sl st
- Single Crochet- sc
- Double Crochet- dc
- Triple Crochet-trc
- Magic Circle- MC
Whipped Cream Dollop:
Round 1: Magic Circle, ch 2, 12 dc into MC, sl st into first dc, pull the circle tight
Round 2: In first st, sc and dc, next st trc and dc-repeat and then sl st into first sc. Fasten off
Pie Filling (Papaya):
Round 1: MC, ch 2, 12 dc into MC. sl st into first dc and pull tight
Round 2: Ch 2, 2 dc in the same st all the way around, sl st into first dc
Round 3: Ch 2, 2 dc into the same st then 1 dc in next st (2 dc, 1 dc) repeat around, sl st into first dc
Round 4: Ch 2, 2 dc into the same st (2 dc, 1 dc in the next two st) repeat around, sl st into first dc
Round 5: Ch 2, 2 dc into same st ( 2 dc, 1 dc in next three st) repeat around, sl st into first dc
Round 6: Ch 2, 2 dc into same st (2 dc, 1 dc in next four st) repeat around, sl st into first dc
Round 7: Ch 2, 2 dc into same st (2 dc, 1 dc in next five st) repeat around, sl st into first dc. Fasten off.
At this point you can sew the whipped cream dollop to the center of the pie filling, the stitches will be covered by the crust side.
- Place both the Pie Filling and Crust right side out and sc around to join them.
- Ch 3, 1 dc into the same st as the ch 3 * skip next sc (sl st, ch 3, 1 dc within the same stitch) repeat around. This is making the rivets on the outside of the Pie Crust.
- Fasten off
- Optional Loop for Hanging: Attach the crust color anywhere on the outer edge, ch 10, attach with a sl st back into the first st, sc 10 around the ch 10 and attach with a sl st again.
- Weave in all ends
And you’re all done! There are many variations for summer as well. You could substitute the pumpkin pie filling for yellow or green for a lemon or key lime pie.